Monday, April 10, 2023

ahhhhhh.... home at last

 ha ha.. Maybe I'm being dramatic. ;) But, I managed to get home from work early enough today to sneak in a ride. And the weather was beautiful! Dan and I headed to Ashland and had a nice fun trail ride by ourselves. We walked, we trotted, we cantered... then we went to the arena and did another walk, trot and canter. And then we went to the lake and then back around the small lake before we headed in. 

I wanted to see how he felt after getting his hocks injected. He was fine in the walk and then when we first trotted he felt a bit lame on one diagonal post...but then it got better and better and I wondered if I had imagined it. The canter in the fields was awesome. But he was also very keen today and was dragging me around a bit. But yay! The left lead felt good too! We went to the arena and did a few walk circles practicing our homework, then we trotted, and then we cantered both ways to feel it out. The canter definitely feels much better, but he still wanted to fall out of the left lead very quickly! I'm still not sure what that's about. Hmmmm... But we picked it up again and he held it a little longer. After that we went back to the lake and cantered on both leads there and he held it longer. Maybe it's the circles, but I suspect more so that it's how he's carrying himself. I think I'm asking him to let go of the brace in his neck much more effectively in the arena than I am in the field. 

Anyways... we had a glorious ride and it was just what my heart and soul needed! Ahhhhh... His too I think! I definitely need to get back on some sort of hacking fitness plan. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment