Sunday, April 9, 2023

Vet Visit: Good news

 So.... I called Dr Barrow and she could come the following Tuesday. Sigh.. that's a long time to wait. But, oh well. Well, then I decided.. just in case... to text Keelin and see if she could do Thursday or if she was already on maternity leave. I could have asked about Tuesday but was supposed to have a lesson with Jacel on Lyric, so... I only asked about Thursday. Turns out, Keelin isn't having the baby til the week after and she had an opening Thursday morning. Wow! Yay! I waited until we got there to cancel with Dr. Barrow though just in case Keelin went into labor! ha ha. 

So we got there and she asked if we could lunge. I told her of his trick but that I could do it and hopefully keep him from doing it and even if he did "He doesn't really go anywhere". So.. yeah. Ha! He made me eat my words. ;) I got 4 strides into the trot and he grabbed the rope and took off. Then proceeded to canter all around her farm... threatening to go to the street... but luckily didn't. Finally he put himself into a stall. Twit! So.. then he got a chain lead rope and we just did in hand jogs. Doh! He looked good cantering though. Ha! This is what happens when Dan gets time off!

Interestingly, he flexed positive on the front left lower limb and a tiny bit front right. Sigh... Keelin suggested going back to Map 5 and Pentosan. Then she let Dani flex his hinds for her and Dan was not resistant at all. I think she probably didn't put as much stress on them as Keelin does, but.. he still trotted off fairly lame, especially on the left hind. So... we went back to the barn and palpated him. Keelin said that his lower back and pelvis felt the best they've felt!! Yahoo! She also said his suspensories felt really darn good! She said it might be the shoes and to "keep those bad boys on". :) Awesome! Then she felt his hocks and said she thinks that was the problem. Then she said "So this stifle....".. .and my heart sank. But she followed it with "Feels pretty darn amazing!". YAHOO!! She said that she agreed with me that he may not make a full comeback given all his issues, but she no longer thinks it will be because of his stifle. Yay!!!

So we sedated him and while they were scrubbing him her next client arrived. It was Janet from Pine top and a friend. And they were ooohing and aaahing over Dan and Keelin was saying how he was quite fancy and lovely but... he was an asshole. ha ha.. Yep!

Anyways, he got his hocks injected and then we came home. He had to stay in his stall but it was hot and buggy so he was okay with it. At dinner I gave him 12 trazadone and he was stoned and did well all night. Yay! But he was happy to go out the next morning. Good boy. 

So fingers crossed. He followed me and Lyric up to the arena today and I must say.. he looked pretty darn good just standing there! Like his posture looks good and his fitness/weight looked good. So, fingers crossed!











No comments:

Post a Comment