Saturday, September 24, 2022

Better Pillar Day and Good Hack

 Today was a good day. Mike and I went for breakfast/brunch on the bike. I had french toast! Yum. Then I met Kelli at Ashland. We started out in the arena and did our pillar work in hand. It was much better, but he was not nearly as distractable. Plus I had cookies, so that helped. The problem with the cookies is that I can't quite work on our relationship to connection because he's so into the cookies. So, I should have brought my fanny pack with timothy pellets or hay. Oh well. Next time. But he was good and we got great pillars! All 3 even! 

 

Then I hopped on and Kelli watched us go. I wanted her to clarify when he was in pillar 1 and when he was cheating. Turns out, I'm right. I can tell. I'm not sure what was happening in my video the other day, although I do think maybe that day I thought he was in pillar 1 also. So.. I don't know. But Kelli said that when I thought I had him in pillar 1, she thought he was too. And when I thought I had lost it, she agreed. She also reminded me again that in general, Dan is much more correct when I slow his tempo a hair! So we worked on that too. I did a tiny bit of trot just to see if I could get him in pillar 1 there too. She also agreed with my assessment at the trot. So... okay! Maybe it was just a very bad day to video the other day.

 

Anyways, then we headed out on the trails. I tried to keep him in pillar 1 and also tried to ride him slightly on contact. And he was good. No tongue today but I had his flash on. It's still super loose, but it's there. He was also in his old fager bit. Anyways, he did good. We did almost the same path we took last time. We did try trotting in the halfshire field and... he felt wonky again. Like... lame behind. Like he was leaving a leg out behind him for 3 exta seconds. But he was also not settled and we didn't trot long enough for him to settle into it because of Marvin. So then we walked a little bit more and Kelli let me trot him while she and Marvin watched. She didn't see anything unless she really really nit picked and again it was more of a longer stance phase on one leg maybe. He did feel better when I was trotting alone. And he felt much happier when I'm on my left diagonal vs my right, no matter which direction we're going. So... who knows!? Maybe he's just a little sore from yesterday? Maybe my saddle is a bit more twisted than I thought. Maybe I'm twisted!? We carried on and Dan and I waited for Kelli and Marvin to cross the creek. Dan was so patient and just stood quietly. 

 
Then we got to the lake and Dan didn't even want a drink. So we headed to the cross country field and I did a bit more trotting. He felt much better this time, though still not as good as yesterday. Kelli thought he looked better again too. And when I slowed his tempo and got him soft and relaxed... wow! His trot felt really nice. I tried to keep him in Pillar 1 and he was good about trying to stay there. Then, I thought about slowing my tempo through my core and seat and thought about asking for pillar 2... a true half halt. And holy moly if he didn't give it to me!!! It was a glorious little bit of trot. He felt soft and light and fluffy and supple and over his back and in self carriage! He couldn't hold it for long of course, but it was nice! And we got it two or three times. :) Good boy.

Then we headed back and I untacked him, hosed him, and tossed him in the trailer quick. Mike said we needed to leave for his boss's house at 4:30 and it was already 3:45! Whooops! I still had to shower! So once we got home, I pretty much threw Dan out and showered and left. Sorry buddy!






No comments:

Post a Comment