Thursday, April 8, 2021

Dressage Fitness

Back at it! Poor Dan.. he got Monday off but Tuesday was lesson day with Rana. We warmed up and then she asked what I wanted to work on and I told her my body and coordinating my aids. So we went right to the canter and worked on my position and that morphed into asking for haunches in while we were cantering. Wait...what?! That's HARD! Luckily we started on the right and I thought that was going to be the hard way. It was hard. My right leg wants to slide back and confuse matters. He has to stay bent and not prop. And if he loses the bend, he braces on his neck and props. So we sort of kind of got it. Then we went left. Well, good golly that's even harder! As soon as I ask for it tracking left, he breaks to the trot. Sigh. So then we attempted to half pass because maybe that would work better for my brain... encourage me to keep the bend more... And it did help, a little. But I've got to keep my elbows at my side and not twist/drop my body. 

But man... I'm not sure we accomplished haunches in for more than about 3 strides the entire ride. And we pretty much cantered for an hour. He had breaks... but really not long ones and not a ton. But he didn't need them. Sure, he was puffing a little at the end, but within 3 minutes or less, he was breathing normally and ready to graze. Rana was impressed with how fit he was. :) hee hee. Have you not met Dan? :) 

And seriously... look how good he looks!!! He's so fit, a little chonky, but mostly buff. :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment