Monday, November 20, 2023

Roid Rage

 Daniel... you sir, are a turd!!!!

I know you're on steroids, but you do this regardless! Sigh... I had a very limited time today to work ponies. I got home around 4:30 and it was cloudy and dark and gets dark around 6ish now. And Lyric hasn't been ridden since last Tuesday.... and Dan hasn't been ridden since before then I think... plus add in the fact that he was supposed to have a week off and then get lunged starting Friday... and I was working all day Friday and then I went to that vet conference Sat and Sun. 

Though I did manage a very quick lunge in the round pen on Sunday with Dan. But he looked tight and bracy still to me. Sigh..though maybe it was the footing... 

Anyways... today, I rode Lyric first and then took Dan up to the arena for a lunge because... better footing. Yeah, bad idea. He was FERAL!! I managed to get about 2 circles before he got loose, even with the cavesson on. He ran around a bit and then let me catch him. And then I managed to get a few circles before he got loose again. Argh! And again, he let me catch him pretty quickly. Okay, but sir, this is getting old. So then he settled and had a nice little lunge session tracking right for a few minutes. Although it was accompanied by me "eeeecchhhh"ing him consistently. Pretty sure my neighbors think I'm psycho. So then we tried to go right again. NO sir!!!! I swear he got loose like 7 times immediately after starting to lunge him each time. ARGHHHHH. I got so annoyed. And not only did he get loose, but he would go bolting off... rip roaring... tearing up my footing. I ended up moving some of the jumps out because I was getting frustrated. One of the interns showed up and offered to help but I told her that while I appreciated it, I wasn't so sure that Dan wasn't going to get loose and go rip roaring around again and run her over. And.. while I doubt he would run her over.. I didn't want her to get scared. 

So finally I gave up. I was hoping to just get one or two circles of nice trot and quit but he was being SOOOOO bad I gave up. Plus I was rapidly running out of daylight and still wanted to drag the arena because tomorrow is supposed to be rainy all day long. All day. So.. no riding or working ponies. Sigh. So I finally caught him and walked him down to the roundpen and we lunged in there. He was still grabbing the lead rope but at least I could hang on because he couldn't go too far or spin and get away. He finally realized it wasn't as much fun and lunged like a normal horse. Gah... why are mine all so weird!?!? Ha ha... 

Good news though... no coughing... well, except when he coughed up the hay cube I fed him because he let me catch him but then immediately tried to bolt again. And he looked more sound and less braced. Twit!!




No comments:

Post a Comment