Thursday, November 2, 2023

Great Day

 Dan and I rode today at Ashland with Kelli. He was a super good boy. We warmed up with our pillar work and then some lateral work. Then we did our trots and some cantering. We had some really nice work today. He felt more collected and slow than he has been and he didn't get rushy today. He still struggles with letting go at the base of his neck when he's more collected and not quite as enaged. When I ask him to sit more, he braces. And I'm sure I shorten his neck too in an effort to collect him. But I was trying to send his neck out today. And we were successful at times. It's hard to know if it's fitness/fatigue/laziness/pain. Does he just not want to work that hard so he doesn't? Does he not want to work that hard because it hurts his neck? Hurts his stifle? Or is he just not strong enough yet to carry himself there? I don't know. Kelli agreed that he looked super fancy and lovely but needed to be quicker with his hind end and a bit more engaged to truly and fully come up over his back. So yeah.. but how?! How do I get that? More leg? Or is it just time and strength building? 

 
We did have some really nice trot half passes today. I thought anyways. And we did a few canter shallow loops that went well. He did give me one very quick simple change that almost could have progressed to a flying change. I didn't ask for it, but I told him he was good anyways. And we had one lovely canter to walk. Most of our transitions still need work but we also had one SUPER lovely walk to canter today too! I used Dawn's trick, which is JBH's trick, of "starting the lawnmower". Hee hee.

 

After we ended up going on a hack. We went to the lake and back. Dan went off roading on the way to the lake and ended up almost taking me out with a tree branch and then a spiderweb. Dude! Careful! The heron was at the lake again and was pretty much ignoring us. But once Dan got in the lake and started splashing the heron decided to leave. Then we walked home and Dan stayed on the trails appropriately ;) hee hee.

 

Tomorrow.... we head to the cattle drive!!! We'll stable overnight and be ready for a 9 am start time! I cannot wait!!! I hope Dan has a blast!

And his new 10 year warranty jammies :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment