Friday, September 11, 2026

Hard workout

 So after our last lesson Dan had two days off because of work. So, I rode him today to see how he felt. And he felt good! We met up with Sharon and Baylor at Ashland. She had a video consult with Mark to check her saddle fit and cinch sizing and options and then we were going to hack after. I was sort of thinking I'd get there early and do an arena ride first but then I didn't get there early enough. Partly because Dan was filthy and needed a good rinse first before we left and partly because I was just a slacker. She was pretty much done and mostly tacked up by the time I got there. Of course then I talked to Mark very briefly and showed him Dan's topline! And then Sharon had to show me about the cinch and then I had to show her my new purchases, but.. then we were ready to ride. So I decided I wouldn't do the arena ride or would do it after since she was ready and I was too. 

 

So we went for a nice long hack. We did the perimeter loop more or less and started with the small dam and then did behind Ashland and then behind the school, then to Oxford Manor, and then all the way around. It was a lovely ride. The spiders are out and I had a few get stuck on my whip/decobwebber. But I deposited them on the next tree. I also had the cutest little inchworm hitchhiker! I also deposited him on Ann Haller's lovely tree. 

 

After our ride, I did decide to go into the arena. I wanted to do a tiny bit of work just to feel him out and also run through the test. I ended up doing much more work than I had anticipated so I feel sort of bad, but he was up for it! Poor guy was so hot and sweaty though. It was so humid and he's already getting his winter coat in. I partially clipped him but definitely need to do more. He and I were both literally dripping! But it was a good ride. We warmed up briefly and then did our "squares" to practive revving and he's getting the hang of it. I also made sure that there was no sluggishness today. I had to be a bit adamant at first, but then he picked up on it and I didn't have to use my whip. We were prompt and marching, whether at the walk or trot. We played with canter too and he was quite good. I did have to use my inside leg and really keep using it to get some bend in the canter but that worked. We ran through the test a few times and practiced our prompt transitions. I also noticed our centerline tended to drift slightly right, so if I ride with an exaggerated inside bend to the left, tipping my sternum slightly left, and almost think of riding a left leg yield... he stays straight. Our first centerline was really drifty! 

 

We finished up and headed back to the trailers. Sorry buddy.. I didn't realize you were that sweaty! He got a nice long hosing off and then he got to get in the trailer with the fans and I drove fast. Ha ha.. I drive fast anyways. And he was fine by the time we loaded up. Good boy! I'll start his legend injections mid week next week to get the timing great for regionals. Now to just figure out my outfits ;) 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment