Saturday, January 15, 2022

Dressage and hack before the storm

 Getting it done!! Although yesterday I didn't get it done. I did not ride nor did I run. Oh well, once in 2 weeks isn't too bad. And it was a rough day. I was pretty much non-stop from 7 am to 7 pm when I got home. And then I was just way too brain fried and it was too cold and dark to go run. And maybe I should have done a Chloe Ting work out at least... I was tired. So I thought I might do it today, but alas.... today was non-stop too. Mike and I sort of slept in. I think it was 7:30 when the dogs got us up. He wanted to go to breakfast so I got the animals fed and we went to Yesterday Cafe in Rutledge. I got avacado eggs instead of french toast, so... there's that. Then I came home and finished painting the cavaletti's. I've been dying to get those done... especially before the rain came, but in general too. Then I ended up with paint all over my jacket so I had to get paint thinner and wipe it off. Then I had talked to Shelly about the arena and she was asking for measurements and it was about time to go ride and the ponies were up by the arena, so... I hiked up there and measured out the arena. Holy Moly! My arena is huge. It's roughly 220' by 175'! Sweet... until you have to fence it in with better fencing. Doh! 

When I went up there to check the fencing, the ponies were all in the corner and Dan was swinging something around in his mouth. I whistled and he turned and look at me and spit it out, like... "I wasn't doing anything"!. hee hee. It looked like a stick that he was playing with. Goofy boy! So I caught him and Funny was sad again that she wasn't going. Ugh. I'm sorry girl!! I really am meaning to do things with you, but how the heck do I make it happen without adding more hours to the day or doing it after dinner in the dark and cold? Ugh. So Dan and I went to Ashland after stopping for some hay. We got on and did our warm up hack and then went to the arena. He was kind of a butt starting out. We worked through it and got progress but he was really not wanting to stretch his right side. He kept falling in tracking left, and falling out tracking right. And just being a bit rooty. But we managed to get some good transitions, even in the downwards. And we had some really nice canter. We worked on the half pass and suddenly half passing to the left is really hard again. I'm starting to wonder if there is something. He almost feels cross cantery on the left lead. He's not, but it feels odd. But there was no unsoundness and he did all the things, so... I paid more attention to my body and it got better. But left half pass is definitely harder. Trot and canter. We had some good medium trots and some good rein backs and turn on the forehands. We finished with some lengthen down centerlines to some decent halts. 

By the point Peri was on and ready to ride. And we were done too so it was perfect timing. So then we went for a long hack. It was probably an hour. It was fun. I miss doing that with her. It got to be a bit chilly so we headed back. Once I got home, Mike wanted to go get lunch, despite it now being 3 pm but I was hungry too so off we went. Then we stopped at home depot so I could get screws to finish my cavalettis. So then I did that, unloaded the hay, fluffed stalls, fed animals, filled water buckets, scrubbed and refilled the trough, closed up the barn and shut off the water. Phew. And now it's 7:30 pm and I still haven't had dinner or showered. BUT... the ponies are all snuggled up in double layers since the freezing sleeting rain is supposed to start in about 1 hour. It's supposed to be in the 20's with the windchill and we might even get snow/sleet/ice tomorrow. Honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to a nice day to just sit inside and do nothing. UNLESS... it snows enough that I can take my T-rex raft and long line Dan and go tubing. :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment