Thursday, February 25, 2021

Because.... Dan

 Or..... Have you met Dan?!

Sigh... So, luckily... God had mercy and made me feel much less pessismistic and gloom and doomy today. And it was another glorious sunshiney day. Apparently a great day for a nap. Right by the fence. And then a roll.... and if you've met Dan you know exactly where this is going.... So yep. I missed two calls and had two texts when I finished my third patient. "Please Call! Emergency... Dan is stuck in the fence!". Sigh... So I called Jean. Luckily Joel, her awesome farm guy, went to drag the arena and noticed that Dan was stuck in the fence. He had picked the one section of fencing that wasn't horse wire. And apparently the one remaining hot section too. Apparently the wire was on his thigh, shocking and sparking.... and he had both hind feet in the fence. Joel was super and cut him free and called the vet. By the time I got the message and sped home (with my poor Pilot shaking and rattling as we did 90 down I-20!) he had already walked him to the roundpen and met the vet. They said he had wrapped his leg in a towel and was being so sweet to him. I got there and Dan was drunk and they had cleaned his wounds. It was mostly superficial stuff but one was a little deeper than he was comfortable with so he threw in two stitches. I went ahead and vaccinated him too, so his tetanus was current. ;) They wrapped the one leg with the stitch and suggested I put him on SMZ's and bute. Oh, and he ripped his shoe off too. The one Freddie put on just yesterday. Sigh. Daniel...... Daniel.... Daniel... (The vet did say that Funny followed them all into the round pen and was all like "Who are you please? What is happening to my brother? Is he going to be okay?" and they had to chase her out because she was nosy. hee hee). 

So... I'm so incredibly grateful that Joel was there and was able to safely get him out before he did anything worse. I'm incredibly grateful that nothing worse happened. But I'm a little annoyed that I can't ride tomorrow because it's going to be even more glorious of a day today and then... rain.... for like a week and half straight. :( (Well, maybe not Sat and Sun but it will be cloudy and icky). ARGHHHHH.. But it's okay.... It's fine.... I'm trying to focus on the positives. And luckily, because God had mercy... I can. This should have sent me into another panic attack... but nope. I survived. Even when I finished my day and came home to find Dan's unwrapped leg hot and puffy. So we cold hosed it... and he got his SMZ's and bute... and we'll pout tomorrow and hope that he's good to go by Saturday so we can do the Working Equitation clinic.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment