Thursday, May 21, 2020

So far, so good

Oh Dan!! It poured last night and was cold and damp most of the day. I felt awful that the horses were naked, but.. it's May! In Georgia! And it wasn't that cold temperature wise, but it felt chilly. They were fine, but.. since it was supposed to rain again all night and I was freezing when I fed (like... I put on a jacket and a hat!), I put clothes on overnight. Of course this morning, it was much warmer, so... I pulled Dan's clothes and fed them. I went in the house long enough to change but by the time I came back out to go ride... and then go to the vet.. he had rolled and CAKED IT IN! All the wet mud. Ugh.... Like.. clumps! Oh well. I knew better, but.... I was hopeful because I had tossed alfalfa hay. 






Anyways, we went to Ashland and hacked. It was a cool dreary kind of morning, but we had a good hack. He was still spooky today! We passed Tik in the field with a fly mask... and Dan's little heart was about to pound of his chest. They were stock still, staring at each other.... It's another horse, guys!! We kept going and then we passed Aubrey and Allanah in the XC field so we had to stop and stalk them for a bit too. We finished up and made a pit stop in the dressage arena. I had put on my saddle today and I wanted to trot him just a little bit. Just to see if I felt the rein lameness. I realize that the little bit I did may not have been a real accurate representation, but I was kind of curious if his "rein lameness" went away with the shoeing change, or if it was going to take the coffin joint injection, or.. if it wouldn't go away at all. Or if it was related to the other hind end stuff I guess. But... regardless, another piece of the puzzle to store away. So.. we trotted a big circle, both directions. He felt pretty darn sound really. I didn't feel any rein lameness, so yay! But we only did 2 or 3 circles each way and then I did a leg yield on the outside of the arena down the rail each way. (So, like only a few steps sideways each way) and he felt good. 

Then we got a little more cleaned up and headed to our vet appointment. Dr. L thought he jogged out pretty sound and looked better in the hind end. I agreed. Which makes sense, as he's been walking only (well, on purpose) for the last month and a half. But still. So we injected his tendon sheath, his fetlock, and his coffin joint. He was super. He didn't even flinch. Then he got wrapped up and we headed home. He was very happy to hear he could go out. :) 

So now... we give him off until his birthday... and then he really should only be allowed to walk for 30 minutes.. but we may cheat a teeny bit. And he's allowed to swim, so yay :) Then Tuesday, if I have time, we'll do the same, and then on Thursday next week, we can start doing some w/t/c work. And we'll just slowly build on that until July 2nd. See what happens. Dr. L was optimistic about how good he looked and what I paraphrased that UT had said, but... I also heard her say that trail riding would probably extend his riding life out... rather than doing dressage or jumping. Sigh... But... we'll just have to wait and see. It's in God's hands and I'm doing what I can, but... ultimately... it is what it is. (don't misunderstand.... I'm devastated... and almost had a break down again today.. it's unfair.... it sucks.... it's unfair to Dan... I'm saddened... I'm frustrated... I'm feeling very unhappy that I've put this many years into him for "nothing"... I'm grateful for the journey... I'm grateful for all that we've gotten to do.... I'm half convinced I'll just turn into a trail rider and maybe do competitive trail or cowboy obstacle stuff.... half convinced I'll buy another horse.... I don't know.... but I'm trying VERY hard to just trust in the Lord... ). 


No comments:

Post a Comment