Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Pity Party

So... intellectually...I am aware that I'm being a big ol' baby. I understand that given the circumstances, I'm a very blessed and very lucky girl. I also... want to cry and pout and eat ice cream and give up. I finally... FINALLY have time to ride.. It basically took a world pandemic for me to be able to stop and smell the roses... and now.. my horse's ongoing issue has come to a head. Sigh... I just want to ride and progress and play and use this time to get better. 

But no... now I get to obscess and figure out what the heck is wrong with my poor horse. Now that I'm riding more... I'm realizing that he really isn't right. I went back and looked at old vidoes and.. it's so not the same horse. :(

Today.. I met Kelli. She got on before me and was doing her dressage so once I got there I went and watched and got videos for her. Which... was amazing! I miss doing that. Because it's so helpful for both of us. And quite frankly... it was perfect timing because she is doing what Kelly is having me do. And... seeing it on Arwyn made me realize... okay that's exactly what Dan and I are doing, but I'm still feeling like it's not what I want to be doing... I mean.. it just seems like we're going backwards.. So.. basically... Arwyn looked very overbent to the right to me. Like... overbent at the neck, throwing the left shoulder out... etc. Exactly when I'm feeling with Dan. And my body is screaming at me to take that left rein and counter flex him and get him "straight". So... I'm still confused as to how doing what Kelly is having me do (Kelly with a y is trainer, Kelli with an i is friend). She wants me to overbend him and let that shoulder go. In an effort to straighten him. But... He's NOT STRAIGHT! is what I'm screaming. So... it was good to talk to Kelli because she basically said "I know she's behind my leg and sluggish and mincy and I know she's not really on the bit...". So.. okay, good. I didn't feel bad pointing those things out so I asked her about the purpose etc. And basically... I really should have figured this out before.. I thought I was a smart lady, but.. maybe not. But basically it is unlocking the body from bracing... teaching the body how to use muscles that haven't been used, so.. we're almost going from point A to point Z to get to point M. Over doing to then come back to the balanced point. In other words... in order to break the habit, we're overdoing it the other way, which allows the body to strengthen in ways that it can then hold the straight. OHHHHH.... so we're not "straightening" now... we're "Building up to straight". Okay.. THAT I can get behind. And I know, semantics, but... apparently this is how my brain and body work now, so... whatever. But regardless, that makes my brain happier and I think now I'll be less likely for my body to insist that I go back to my old habits. And I was getting it... I was doing it for the sake of doing it, knowing Kelly was right.. I just couldn't figure out why. But now that I've figured out why, I think it'll happen faster and easier for me. 

Anyways.. so after we watched her, we went up to the jump arena and I started to warm Dan up. We got some really nice stretchy trot work... and then Dr. Molony called me back. Sigh... Of course! I wanted to talk to her though, so I did. Unfortunately it took awhile... longer than I thought, but.. I'm glad I did. So then I picked Dan back up and was going to just get the canter I wanted to jump. So.. I got the right lead canter.. fine and happy. Went to get the left lead canter and it felt TERRIBLE. Way worse than the day before... stabby and icky. And he kept falling out of it. Sigh... Kelli said that I was blocking him with my left rein, so we tried again. She got video and thought he looked fine. And.. he doesn't look lame, but it felt AWFUL!! So.. I told her to get on. She did... and she could barely get him to trot... then she got him trotting but it was so mincy and sticky and shuffly. She did get him to canter right... and then left but I had to chase them to really get him to stay in it and he only held it for less than a circle really. She agreed that he was NOT the same horse he used to be. And he was blowing pretty hard and fairly sweaty, and... that's really the only work he had done. Yes, it's hot out... and yes it got hot quickly, but... he has been breathing hard for a few rides now.. .maybe more than that. So... I just quit... we went for a short hack to the lake.. and he bounced a tiny bit out on the trail, but... just a tiny bit. Then he just hacked the rest of the way quietly on the buckle. Sigh... 

I was so depressed I just wanted to go home. We've got an appointment on Thursday but.. I have no idea. I have no idea where he hurts.. if he hurts.. if it's systemic like EPM, Lyme, PSSM2... ??? UGHHHHH.. I just really want my pony to feel good again... and to be honest.. I want him to want to gallop ... and buck.... and take me to the fences... and put 1 in the 2 stride cause he can. I want to have to half halt him... sigh... My poor boy.. 


2 comments:

  1. I had a similar problem with my mare. Lack of energy. What we decided is that she is half draft and needs a longer recovery time between rides. I also bought expensive joint and ligament supplements and started om a small amount of oats. And we keep our training rides shorter. It seems to be helping my mare. It's frustrating when I have more energy than my horse, but it is what it is. We found 3 rides a week where ideal. Hope you find a solution. Best Regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't think that's his problem. He's... always been super fit. He does gallop sets in the field on his own. Glad you found a plan for your mare! It's awesome when you do right by them and give them what they need to succeed. :)

      Delete